Friday, June 25, 2010

Hmmm

So, theknot.com and my calendar have both confirmed for me that November 6 is rapidly approaching. I'm not quite sure how this happened. Theknot is also helpfully informing me that we have 73 items overdue, but since it will only actually show me 9 of them, I'm going to assume the other 64 are all-important topics like "Select appropriate stiletto shoes, hairstyles, make-up and plastic surgery for your bridesmaids. And don't forget to schedule tanning appointments for all 12 of them." Anyway, I don't see how we could possible be behind: I spend hours reading about weddings on the internet every week day.

What's that you say? Reading about other people's weddings and looking at pictures of $100,000+ California vineyard weddings doesn't actually help plan my wedding? Oh.

Moving on then...first off, I think it might be time for a blog cull--the list of completely irrelevant "bridal inspiration" blogs is only serving to clog up my Google Reader. But in case any random people are reading this blog and looking for suggestions, here are two that I LOVE and that have given me lots of ideas and things to think about:

So You're Engayged: a blog focusing on same-sex couples that also features vendor reviews and a list of same-sex friendly vendors. Gay people are getting married all over the place, but you wouldn't know it from most wedding blogs. And the bloggers on this one are a little more practical and down-to-earth, so there are lots of DIY and budget ideas.

A Practical Wedding
: Unlike other wedding blogs, this one doesn't focus just on the flowers or the signature cocktails or whatever other style elements are oh-so-important on some other blogs. This blogger, and the fantastic community of readers, talk about wedding planning from a practical perspective, but more importantly, there's much talk of marriage. Honestly, I'd recommend this blog even to people who aren't planning a wedding--there's a lot of talk about marriage and partnership and what it means to be a family, not just about planning one big day.

Until we got engaged, I hadn't really thought that getting married would change much about our relationship. After all, we've been living together for 5 years now, so we have a pretty good idea of each other's bad habits. ;) But as we've gotten more involved in planning the wedding, and all the decision-making and negotiation that involves, between the two of us and with our families (we love you all and truly are grateful for all of your support and input, I promise!), I think we're becoming a better team. And I'm excited to see where that teamwork takes us in the future.

But for now, back to invitation ideas...

1 comment:

  1. I'd love an invite with glittery Lisa Frank stickers incorporated somehow, but if all else fails a simple red lipstick print in the top right corner would suffice.

    ReplyDelete